Free WordPress Map Plugin: Smart GEO GMap
How does the free WordPress Map Plugin work?
Smart GEO GMap is a free WordPress map plugin that provides an easy way to integrate a Google Map on WP Page/Post using GeoJSON via an easy shortcode. It was built to allow final users to integrate a Google map on their pages or posts. Moreover, the plugin would have to provide a simple way to show custom data based on GeoJson format. Final users are allowed to upload unlimited GEO JSON files for encoding a variety of geographic data structures and showing and drawing boundaries, shapes, markers, and info windows (tooltips) on the map.
Where to start?
Firstly, open the backend of your WordPress and go to the Add New under Plugins. Since Smart Geo GMap is a free WordPress map plugin, the easiest way of installing it is to use the WordPress Plugin Search. After installing it, get your API Key from Google Maps Platform and save it into the Settings tab. Upload your GEO JSON files through the Files tab to draw boundaries on Google Map. Most importantly, with the GeoJSON format, you can encapsulate a lot of information on your map, and show them as marker and tooltip on the map. In addition, you can upload one Snazzy style to stylize the map; Place the shortcode where you need it, inside a page or post.
Note: You must enable Billing on the Google Cloud in order to use Google Map correctly.
The demo example shows the city parks of Amsterdam and the public wi-fi in Rome. Below the links to the open data I used:
- Gemeente Amsterdam City Parks
- Amsterdam neighbourhoods
- Municipi di Roma Capitale
- Wi-fi pubblico a Roma (2012)
- Unlimited GEOJSON files upload: In other words feel free to draw your boundaries, shapes, add markers and tooltips on the map
- Snazzy Maps Skins: In addition to your data, a bit of color for you map
- One map per site: For instance draw the boundaries of your delivery business
- Unlimited markers: Use open data to pin on your map unlimited markers
- Marker info window (marker tooltips): For instance you can pin your stores on the map and decorate them with the specific store info
- Coordinates: 3 center area controls: Let your users free to jump from one point to another on the Globe
- Zoom: world, landmass/continent, city, streets, buildings: Choose your starting zoom
- Responsive layout
- Full screen map
- Change event type on tooltip: Choose how user can open the infoWindows
- WordPress Backend Compliant
WordPress compatibility: > 4.8, tested up to WordPress 5.5.3
What is GeoJSON?
GeoJSON is a format for encoding a variety of geographic data structures. Take a look at the documentation.
Snazzy Maps help developers and designers match the Google Map on their website with their website’s theme. Smart Geo GMap allows you to make your map funny: Upload a Snazzy file to stylize the map.
Google API Keys
Based on Google Map, the plugin require a Google API Key, this step is mandatory:
Enable Google Billing Account
You must enable Billing on the Google Cloud in order to use Google Map correctly. This step is required.
Please, visit also Foursquare Integration Plugin Page